For those of you just wandering over, start your reading with The Descent.
For those of you who have been waiting patiently for the second chapter of my Grand Canyon Adventure, I apologize for taking so long.
Day 3 (cont.)
- We have an amazing camp in the corner of two rock walls with lots of big trees. There was a deer in camp when we first walked up.
- After settling in, Bree and I played in the river. It was cold but we still fully submerged ourselves. Such a rush. Felt like a kid again.
- Around dinner time my Endo kicked me in the nads. I was almost doubled over in pain. Had to miss out on the ranger presentation on Condors. On the plus side, I got to watch the mountains glow as the sun set.
- Christine luckily had packed Tramadol – a prescription that I happen to have. I felt safe taking it. But truthfully I would have taken just about anything.
- Started my period. First period in FOUR YEARS and in happens in the Grand-Fucking-Canyon!
- Slept outside. Bats were flying around and there were critters everywhere. I took an Ambien and listened to music to help me sleep. It started out a warm night but I got cold in the morning hours.
- VERY rough night. Despite the mixture of narcotics and Ambien, couldn’t sleep through the chorus of snores. What sleep I did get involved nightmares of devil goats.
- Woke with a major headache (Ambien and Tramadol don’t mix? Who knew?), lots of pain (Endo), and muscles so sore I could barely walk. Didn’t get much sleep.
- Wasn’t sure if I would be able to make the 1.7 mile hike planned. Took lots of Ibuprofen with breakfast.
- Felt better. Well…good enough anyway, after breakfast to go along for the hike. The group has been patient, encouraging, and understanding. Seriously love these guys.
- The hike was beautiful. We saw river rafters (Colorado River), Indian ruins, two bridges and a FOX. Very glad I sucked it up and went.
- When we got back to camp we went to the lodge to refill our cups with lemonade/iced tea. I had to bite the bullet and buy tampons. At the bottom of the Grand-Fucking-Canyon!
- Still in pain but pushing through it.
- After lunch I took my boot off and had a huge blister on my pinky toe. What is with my luck?
- Had to drain the blister to keep it from popping. It is wrapped up with duct tape but tender.
- After mending my toe I took my sleeping pad down by the river and dozed in the shade until a rude couple woke me. I joined the rest of the group and played in the stream.
- Sorted through my remaining food and ate all afternoon in preparation for the next day – (dun, dun, DUN) uphill!
- Seriously, ate so much. At dinner I had to force down the last bites.
- Made it to see the ranger presentation tonight about geology. The GC is 1 mile deep, 10 – 20 miles wide, 270(ish) miles long, and really, really old. I feel so smart now.
- Slept outside and used Rogers bivey sack (a sleeping bag/tent). It gave me claustrophobia. Woke and took anther half of an Ambien. Another restless night. More nightmares, this time about a stabbing fight but I did make out with Jared Letto in water too, so that was a plus.
- Animals seen while at the bottom: momma deer & 3 baby deer, fox, Ringtail Cat, squirrels, lizards, and a scorpion.
PS – One more GC post to go! If you’d like to see more pictures, check out my flickr account.
Grand Canyon 2011, Hiking, Vacations